LearnSci resources fully integrate with your Canvas. All of your resources are hosted, maintained and updated by Learning Science and are added to Canvas as external tool links in just a few steps.
This guide will show you how to add a Grade Synced LearnSci LabSim or Smart Worksheet to your course page on Canvas.
Before you start...
- Confirm with Learning Science that Grade Sync has been enabled for the LearnSci LabSim or Smart Worksheet you wish to add;
- Check that you have been provided with the unique LTI URL for the Grade Synced LabSim or Smart Worksheet. The LTI URL should have the following format: https://resources.learnsci.co.uk/enrol/lti/tool.php?id=xxxxx (where xxxxx is a set of numbers unique to the LabSim or Smart Worksheet you are adding);
- If you do not have access to the LTI URL for your Grade Synced LabSim or Smart Worksheet, please get in touch.
How to add a Grade Synced LabSim or Smart Worksheet
There are two steps involved:
- Step 1 - Adding "Assignment" to course
- Step 2 - Adding "Assignment" to module
Step 1 - Adding assignment to course
1. Start by going to the course page where you wish to add the Grade Synced LabSim (or Smart Worksheet).
2. Select Assignments and then, + Assignment.
3. Give the assignment a name - this is the name that students on the course will see. If you wish, you can also add a description.
4. Enter the number of points you wish the assignment to be worth.
5. Select an Assignment Group and how you would like grades to be displayed.
6. Select External Tool as the Submission Type.
7. Under External Tool Options, leave the URL field blank and select Find.
8. Select “Learning Science” from the list of available tools. If you have more than one Learning Science external tool listed, select the most appropriate one. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
if you are not sure which external tool to select. Note that the Learning Science tool(s) may have been named differently by your institution
9. Ensuring that the appropriate Learning Science tool is selected, enter the LTI URL for your grade synced LabSim (or Smart Worksheet). If there is already a URL in the field, delete this and enter your LTI URL.
11. Tick the box "Load This Tool In A New Tab".
12. Set the rest of the options - Submission Attempts, Moderated Grading, Anonymous Grading, Assign - according to your requirements.
13. Save and publish
14. Check that the link to the assignment is working correctly before going on to 'Step 2 - Adding assignment to module'.
Step 2 - Adding assignment to module
1. Start by going to the module where you wish to add the grade synced LabSim (or Smart Worksheet). If you don't have a module created yet, you can do this by selecting + Module.
2. In the newly created module or an existing one, select +.
3. Select Assignment from the dropdown menu options.
4. Find and select the assignment you previously added to the course in 'Step 1 - Adding assignment to course' of this guide.
5. Add Item to finish.